A blog about economics instruction. "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler."--Albert Einstein

Sunday, September 25, 2005

QuickTake: An Integral Approach to Teaching Economics

From the web comes this 24-page paper by Marcelo Clerici-Arias of Stanford University. Although the paper is more than 10 years old, the approach is still fresh and would be of use to faculty in a variety of disciplines.

The "integral" approach refered to in the title is deceptively simple. First, devise a set of course objectives, design and implement activities to achieve the objectives, assess how successful the activities were, and then followup by rewriting the objectives and activities.

The reason I consider this one of the best papers I've ever seen on teaching is that the author provides several examples of the activities he's used in his own classes. That makes it easy for any instructor wanting to implement this approach to get started. The paper is also well grounded in the literature and contains an extensive bibliography.

Link

1 Comments:

Blogger Anthrogrl said...

Throughout high school and my first two years of college, my most difficult classes were the ones that I enjoyed the most, as odd as that sounds.

What really defines teaching, what makes it more than a "job", in my opinion, is passion. For example, I took advanced English literature my senior year of high school, and although I was constantly writing, and my teacher was always demanding more of me, I gained a lot from that class.

Teachers that instill the skills needed to continue learning, that show students how to think for themselves, are the best kind of teachers.

It's too bad that our society doesn't reflect the value of teachers (e.g., very low pay).

4:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home